Sunday, July 05, 2015

Island in the Sky


Canyonlands: Part II. I arrived fairly late in the afternoon after my long drive across Utah. There were impressive rain clouds working their way across the canyons, which left me with a neat mix of rain, dark skies, and late day sunshine.

Island in the Sky is essentially a large mesa, connected to the rest of the rim rock at a very narrow spot called the Neck. It's the only way, short of climbing the cliffs, of getting on or off the "Island." I got as far as Grandview Point, but didn't have time to go up to Upheaval Dome.


I had made a reservation for that evening in Grand Junction, so I didn't have time to swing through Arches (let alone do it justice). I swung into Moab for fast food and then drove up the Colorado River valley past Fisher Towers (I love that stretch upstream of Moab) and back to I-70 and into Colorado.




No comments: