Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Boone


I avoided I-35 north of Des Moines and headed up towards Boone, before rejoining the interstate near Ames a couple of hours later. I'm combining two different places in this post: Ledges State Park southwest of town and the railroad bridges across the river to the northwest.

Ledges was cool, literally, and clearly where folks head on hot summer days for shade and water to play in.  The road winds through the canyon, crisscrossing the stream several times. At two of the fords, there were groups of kids urging me to spray them with my tires as I drove past. Do I have to explain why it's so important to get off the Interstate now and then?

Ledges State Park was completely unplanned (the 'accidents' are often the best parts of road trips), but my intended destination in Boone was the Kate Shelley High Bridge over the Des Moines River. There are actually now two trestles carrying the Union Pacific across the valley - I'm not sure if both are used, or if the concrete bridge replaces the older one. As often happens, I waited for a train, but it only showed up after I had driven away.

This bridge is not as spectacular as the one in Lethbridge, but was still very impressive and also yet another reminder of the neat things you can find if you wander aimlessly around the country long enough!


No comments: