Monday, August 27, 2018

Mount Maxwell

The top of the main summit in Mount Maxwell Provincial Park is Baynes Peak. Go figure. I guess it's a compromise between the two different names that have historically been used to describe this rocky 580m (1900') hill on Salt Spring Island.

We've driven up a few times in the past, but this was my first time to try it on the bike. It starts with the steep, busy road out of Ganges, but then keeps going, albeit in a rolling, up and down and up again way. The last mile or two is gravel - in some places both steep and loose - and I walked a few short sections, but eventually I made it to the viewpoint. It was still hazy, though not as bad as earlier in the week.

It was much quicker going back down, though somehow I managed to break by chain a mile or so from the cabin. But by then, walking sort of felt like a nice break.


No comments: