Saturday, March 18, 2017

Thornton Creek


Another post from that gray Saturday at the end of February.

Much of northeast Seattle used to drain through Thornton Creek. Much of it still does, though Seattle's stormwater system probably takes a bulk of the flow. The creek, which has two main branches and a couple of much smaller tributaries, winds through neighborhoods, small parks, and backyards on its way from its headwaters west of I-5 down to Lake Washington at Matthews Beach.

Sometime I'll explore it a little more systematically, but so far my visits have been pretty scattered. I think I'm getting to know the access points pretty well, but I keep discovering new things.

These pictures include the underside of the 15th Avenue bridge - just east of Northgate - and the recently restored Kingfisher Natural Area just above Lake City Way. These are all on the south branch of Thornton Creek.



No comments: