Sunday, September 17, 2017

Lincoln



Lincoln, Nebraska, is roughly half way between Wisconsin and the mountains, so it was where we stayed on our two-day leg from Madison to Colorado Springs.

On the way, we stopped and hiked around Ledges State Park in Iowa, which gave us some much needed exercise and a break from farm fields. I had visited a couple of years ago and enjoyed it: Boone 2012). We had dinner at the Loess Moose - a bar/burger joint north of Council Bluffs, then drove quickly around Omaha and into the sunset toward Lincoln.

Our hotel was in the renovated Haymarket District - a rejuvenated version of early Lincoln and the area around the old Union train station. We still had a little time to wander around - though it would have been nice to have a little more.

I rode my bike the next morning, a nice mix of bike paths along stream corridors and old rail lines -- but I also rode through downtown and checked out the state capitol. Of my ten early morning bike rides on this trip, this one was perhaps the least interesting, but it was still very pleasant - which I guess says something about how wonderful all of those bike rides were!


No comments: