Sunday, August 29, 2010

Champlain Mountain








My goal was to hit the road early so I could visit the main Acadia sites before the Sunday crowd got too bad. And be headed for Schoodic Point and Lubec by early afternoon.

I was at the visitor center at 8AM and the plan was looking good. But the Loop Road is one way and I felt if I passed anything by, I wasn't likely to get back. The Precipice Trail wasn't on my list, but it sounded pretty cool, I figured I needed some exercise, and even though the sign suggested three hours for the round trip, I figured I could somehow still fit everything into the day.

I did it in about two hours, with 20 minutes on top to enjoy the spectacular views of Frenchman's Bay, Cadillac Mountain, and the Atlantic. The trail climbs the cliffs and ledges, aided by steel ladders and railings, which preserve the exposure, but limit the risks. I think D would have liked this!

My little side trip meant that I spent the next few hours in the worst of the heat and the tourist crowd and meant that I wouldn't get to Lubec until late evening. It also meant that I ended up bagging the drive up Cadillac Mountain, but this trail was far more interesting than the auto road.

No comments: