Sunday, August 29, 2010

Acadia







I grew up in Maine, but despite having visited lots of National Parks, I'm not sure when, if ever, I had been to this one in my home state. I'd been on Mount Desert Island - the end of a sailing trip with relatives in grade school - but I don't know if I saw much of the island beyond Northeast (or was it Southwest?) Harbor.

I've wanted to come here for ages, for sake of completeness, but also as an essential stop on my quest for new and interesting beaches. I spent the morning on the Precipice Trail, and then followed the Loop Road to Sand Beach, Monument Cove, Little Hunter's Beach, and then over to Seawall Beach. After a lobster roll at the Seawall Drive-In and ice cream in Southwest Harbor, I raced around to Schoodic Point, getting there just before sunset.

1 comment:

amac said...

in addition to the awesome beaches and keen observations - i really enjoy the place names! Passamaquoddy Bay and Precipice trail - love it!