Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bucksport






Bucksport was my base for two nights. My room had a view across the water of Fort Knox (not the one in Kentucky where the gold is stored) and the bridges (old and new).

The Penobscot River runs into the northern end of Penobscot Bay in a maze of islands and waterways, so I'm not sure whether to call this the river or a bay. I guess it's both.

The old bridge has been upgraded in the last few years with a new one - similar in concept but very different in design. The old one remains, but is fenced off - I wonder if the plan is to remove it, refurbish it for bikes and pedestrians, or let it gradually fall into the river? The new one was spectacular - especially at night. I didn't have time to go up to the observation deck on the top of the 400' west tower, but would have liked to.

No comments: