Sunday, July 05, 2015

Wheeler Peak


I suspect that Nevada may have more distinct mountain ranges than any other state - but most are not necessarily very distinguished ones. Some are higher and more extensive and more noteworthy than others. Elevation tends to provide more moisture, more climatic diversity, more snow, and more vegetation.

The Ruby Mountains south of Elko are spectacular. The White Mountains on the California border are the location of the highest point in Nevada, Boundary Peak (13,140'), but it's just a shoulder on the even higher Montgomery Peak across the line in California and isn't quite as significant as a summit in itself.

The highest peak in its own right in Nevada is Wheeler Peak (13,063'), here in the South Snake Range near the eastern edge of the state.


Wheeler Peak was engulfed in rain clouds the evening I drove in. I drove up to the campground at the end of the road, near 10,000', just a couple of hundred feet below the next morning's snow line. I would have lingered if there had been morning sunshine to light up the peaks, but it was socked in and I just headed down the hill to breakfast in Baker.

*In in my hurry to catch up with posts from the trip, I managed to leave this one in the drafts folder. We'll see if I can post it in the proper order, or whether it will end up forever located between Colorado National Monument and Crested Butte.


No comments: