Sunday, July 05, 2015

Mt. Sunflower


It's not every day that I get an opportunity to drive across Kansas, so I wanted to make the most of the roughly 24 hours I had allotted!

Driving from west to east, the obvious place to start is Mt. Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas. Given the general tilt of the Great Plains, it makes sense that the high point is near the state's western edge and, in fact, it's only about 1/4 mile from Colorado (we'll run into the same basic situation when we visit Nebraska's highest point next week).

Mt. Sunflower is on private land, but is well-signed and freely accessible. And the summit is nicely marked - someone put some effort into this! The final approach isn't too difficult, even for a passenger car, and there is plenty of parking. One could actually traverse around the summit without ever leaving the car. The elevation (4039') is clearly noted. The summit register is in a mailbox.

I am adding "highpoint" label to the blog, now that my collection has reached critical mass. I have no intention, or need, to collect them all, but I'll pick them up when and where I can. Note that while I reached the summit of some of these, some remained elusive and we'll have to settle for views from afar.

Other high points on hshipman


No comments: