Saturday, July 11, 2015

Elko


We were passing through Elko around dinner time and M's iPhone search for restaurants pointed us to the Star. Which was fun for me, since I'd been introduced to family-style Basque dining in Elko way back in 1980, at the Star (I think the physical location has changed in the interim). It's really best to do with a larger group, because there is simply way too much food, and it's also best to do when you're heading somewhere with a refrigerator, since everyone leaves with a box of leftovers.

The crowded lobby of the Star was lined with posters from past years of the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering.

Elko's changed in some ways since I spent a week flying in and out of here in a helicopter 35 years ago. There's even a Starbucks. Which was good, since I needed something for the late evening drive to Winnemucca.

No comments: