Saturday, August 20, 2016

English Bay



I had plenty of time Saturday morning to drive into Vancouver and walk from the Burrard Bridge along the shore to Denman, checking out beaches, outdoor sculpture, and old haunts.

It looks like they've updated the setting of the A-maze-ing Laughter sculpture in the triangular plaza where Denman and Davie converge on English Bay. I love most public art, but few pieces are as funny as this. And there are several neat sculptures down at Sunset Beach.
A-maze-ing Laughter (Yue Minjun)

Engagement (Dennis Oppenheim)
Inukshuk (Alvin Kanak)
217.5Arc x 13 (Bernar Venet)


Delany's was an early morning routine when we used to come up for the fireworks and stay at the Sylvia.  D and I would play chess here in the morning, until he reached middle school and preferred to stay in bed. But I kept going back, and although we haven't stayed at the Sylvia in many years, I always enjoy spending time when I'm here, with coffee, my notebook, and a Vancouver paper.

Previous posts from English Bay



No comments: