Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Point Defiance





It was shaping up to be a nice Saturday and I desperately needed to get out. As usual on Saturday mornings, M gets up later and then goes to Jazzercize, so I'm on my own. I dithered for awhile over coffee and eventually decided that the tides were more conducive to a beach walk than to kayaking.

I drove south to Tacoma and parked at Owen Beach (Gravel Beach).  I hiked out to Point Defiance itself - something I'd never done before - and got a good dose of coastal geology (Point Defiance).  This is wonderful stretch of beach and it's a real shame I haven't spent more time exploring the park.

Afterwards I worked my way back along Ruston Way checking out beaches, then filled up with coffee at Treo's in Old Town before hitting I-5 and heading north.

1 comment:

Dave Wenning said...

I have wondered if Point Defiance is the remnant of an old Mt. Rainier lahar. On the map, it looks like it could be the end of an old mud flow. The Gig Harbor side (where I grew up) has the same clay cliffs along the beach.