Thursday, November 28, 2013

Encinitas






I spent the night in Carlsbad, but was up with the sun and grabbed coffee and breakfast (probably a pastry) at a coffee shop near the beach.  I spent most of the morning on the bluffs, or on the beach, working my way south through Carlsbad, Encinitas, and Del Mar, before winding back at Torrey Pines, where my day ended last night.

It was a gorgeous Saturday morning - maybe not summertime warm, but nice enough so that everyone was out enjoying themselves. There were runners and bikers along the coast road that I passed, or that passed me, repeatedly over several hours -- I had a car, but they weren't stopping every five minutes..  Hundreds of folks were out wandering the beaches and the surfers were piled up at the better breaks, although the swell wasn't terribly impressive.  It must be nice to just be out on the water.

Based on some homework, and prompted by some suggestions from a friend, I checked out several classic beach spots in Encinitas, including Stone Steps and Beacons (more on Gravel Beach), and the Powerhouse in Del Mar. Conveniently, although completely by accident, I found the Leucadia Donut Shop.  It was one of those little details that makes any road trip better.



No comments: