Wednesday, October 16, 2013

French Beach



M was in the Bay Area for the weekend.  And it sounded like my plans to backpack in the high cascades would be buried by early season snow. And I wasn't sure if I'd be fined for hiking into Shi Shi or one of the other Olympic Peninsula beaches while the federal government was shut down.  So I headed north, to Canada, and spent two nights camped at French Beach on Vancouver Island west of Victoria. It was weird to be on the Tsawwassen ferry by myself without the whole Salt Spring crowd!


Once again, my best laid plans to go backpacking go sideways and I end at the beach - I guess this shouldn't be a surprise.  But what a neat bunch of beaches - from Botanical Beach at the west end back to Ross Bay in Victoria, and half a dozen in between.  All now cataloged and described at Gravel Beach, of course.

No comments: