Sunday, June 24, 2012

Oregon Buttes






The Great Basin is the largest interior drainage basin in the U.S., but not the only one.  The Great Divide Basin in central Wyoming is another place where drainage can go nowhere.  Of course, there's no water to have to drain in the first place.  I crossed the Continental Divide Trail (I should have been looking for it, although I doubt it gets the traffic that the Appalachian and the Pacific Crest get) and dropped over the rim, finding a perfect little spot for the tent in a little copse of alders.  The next morning - early, since the sun discovered my east-facing site quickly - I headed down into the basin and then eventually north through Oregon Buttes towards South Pass.

Oregon Buttes is so named because it was a landmark just south of the Oregon Trail where it crosses South Pass, the most anti-climatic (and therefore practical) crossing of the Rockies anywhere.  I rejoined the highway and had a late breakfast at MacDonalds in Lander.

No comments: