Sunday, April 29, 2012

Kilisut Harbor






Saturday morning I loaded up the boat, grabbed coffee, and headed for the Edmonds ferry.  Over the next few hours the almost-clear skies gradually disappeared - just the opposite of the forecaster's pronouncements.

I took the kayak up to Fort Flagler and spent several hours paddling around northern Kilisut Harbor - the narrow inlet between Marrowstone and Indian Islands. I went south, taking a break at Mystery Bay, before crossing over and heading back north along the wonderfully undeveloped shoreline of Indian Island.  One advantage of the Navy storing bombs there is that security is tight and opportunities for waterfront real estate and mega-mansions are nil.  I kept expecting guards to drive down to the beach to make sure I didn't land, but if they were watching, they didn't show themselves.  A lone coyote watched me from the top of a bluff for five minutes as I paddled by.  A seal popped up at some point and bald eagles occasionally flew over - but that was it.

No comments: