Thursday, July 15, 2010

Havana





Before the trip, I was looking for stuff to see or do along the way. That's when I stumbled on the Roadfood website and found the Farmers Inn Cafe. It sounded like it had character and pancakes. Admittedly, Havana ND is a little bit off the beaten path, but in my view that works in its favor. We got there around 2 in the afternoon and thought we might have missed our chance, but they were still open and we had lunch with the place to ourselves.

It happens that Havana is just west of the Coteau des Prairies, an impressive ridge (at least by Prairie standards) that once divided major south-flowing drainages during the ice ages. Compared to the endless flat farmland on both sides, the ridge was a curious anomaly and the landscape was rolling and pockmarked with small lakes and hollows. My travel companions were probably just noticing how bad the road was, but I thought it was all pretty cool. Unfortunately, no pictures - even if I'd taken some, it would have been hard to capture the subtlety of this.

No comments: