Thursday, July 01, 2010

The Bronx








From D's perspective, the main point of driving 8000 miles was seeing the Yankees play the Mariners in the Bronx. We picked the one game of the series that the Mariner's did not win, which was perfect as far as D was concerned. The new stadium looked great, although my memories of the old one are hard to separate from the miserably hot and humid conditions in 2003 when we were here last. Today was absolutely perfect.

The grandstand is surrounded by flags commemorating all 27? World Series Championships the Yankees have won. The woman next to me asked me, innocently, I think, how many flags that that we had in Seattle. I wasn't sure how to answer.

We were in Chicago a week and half later when we learned that George Steinbrenner had died.

No comments: