Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Miller Peninsula


Saturday morning (April 29th), I headed out early. I caught the 7:10 ferry in Edmonds and unloaded my bike at the trailhead by 8:30 or so. What was supposed to be a nice start to the day was sort of overcast.

Miller Peninsula State Park is a very large, very undeveloped area between Port Townsend and Sequim, on the peninsula that separates Sequim Bay from Discovery Bay. A large private development scheme in the 1990s didn't pan out and Parks ended up with an awful lot of forest and beach to hold for future uses. They added a new parking lot a couple of years ago, but there's not much else besides miles of trails. And several miles of coarse gravel beach.

I rode my bike a mile or two to the head of the beach trail and locked it to a tree. The beach was a short hike from there down the ravine. Thompson Spit is a half a mile to the east. Travis Spit is several miles to the west. I visited both, which meant I put on an awful lot of miles walking on cobbles and coarse gravel. But I got to visit two spits and a long stretch of bluff shoreline that I had never managed to visit before.





No comments: