Monday, June 28, 2010

Straits of Mackinac





D got the driver's seat for the drive across the bridge. Wasn't this featured in his 2nd grade science fair project?

There's something about the Upper Peninsula that made me think we were in Canada, or at least that crossing the bridge was a return to the lower 48. We drove into Mackinaw City to find Dad coffee and wound up with a glazed donut D could have hung around his neck (at the Mackinaw Bakery, I think).

Yesterday and today included lyrics from three songs on my Road Songs playlist:

-- The searchers all said they'd have made Whitefish Bay if they'd put 15 more miles behind her (Gordon Lightfoot).
We'd have made Whitefish Bay if we'd put 80 more miles behind us last night and it hadn't gotten dark.

-- Took a bead on the northern plains and just laid that power on. 12 hours out of Mackinaw City, I stopped at a bar to have a brew (Bob Seger). He must have been going the other direction - 12 hours would be Grand Forks - there's a Starbucks there, although I guess that's not what he meant.

-- It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw. I've gone to look for America (Simon and Garfunkle). Four days from Saginaw - could be just about anywhere. We were counting cars on the New Jersey turnpike in two.

No comments: