Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gasworks








Nine hours in a cramped basement office was enough, so I grabbed my bike and rode down the hill. The goal was exercise, after all I did have to ride back up the hill to get home, but of course I had the camera along, too. A shoreline park, industrial design, some color, and late afternoon sun.

Gasworks was always sort of a high risk notion for a public park. Industrial waste and something resembling a big jungle gym. They use fences and signs to keep people away from the contaminated dirt and the rusting climbing equipment. It's still a great view of downtown and a great place to fly kites - not that I've ever actually done that here. And there's probably something appropriate about visiting it on Earth Day - a reminder that just because we've messed things up for a long time, it's never too late to clean our rooms.

M & I almost got married here, 19 years ago next month, but it was threatening rain so we had the ceremony in the living room instead.

No comments: