Thursday, October 16, 2008

Martha's Vineyard










I left Providence at the crack of dawn so I could make it to Woods Hole and the 8:15 sailing to Vineyard Haven. The rain never materialized, but the day stayed overcast with the exception of a few sun breaks. The bright orange bug offered a great contrast to the gray day.

The excursion to Cape Poge took a bit longer than I might have planned and left me scurrying to get to the Aquinnah at the west end before dark. I watched the sun set from Gay Head, before heading back to Vineyard Haven for dinner at the Black Dog Tavern (the name is a misnomer, as Vineyard Haven is a dry town).












Oak Bluffs

This place reminded me of Seaside, Florida, but then I guess that's the point. I suppose the Seaside folks used Oak Bluffs as their model for a cute coastal village that would appeal to wealthy urban escapees.
















Edgartown

I kept driving around in circles trying to find my way in and out of town. Eventually, I managed to find the lighthouse, chowder on main street, and the Chappaquiddick Ferry.
















Chappaquiddick

A wonderful three-car ferry that makes shuttles every five minutes or so across the narrow harbor entrance. I drove out to the Mytoi Gardens, a pleasant Japanese Garden, while waiting to take the pickup tour out to Cape Poge.
To get out to the Cape, you cross on the Dike Bridge and then follow the dunes and the beach out to the end (yes, for those Kennedy historical buffs, this is that bridge).




No comments: