Saturday, November 16, 2013

Point Loma








After my early morning trip to the border, I worked my way north through Imperial Beach and along the Silver Strand, back past the Coronado where I'd been on Sunday evening, and then back over the bay to Mission Valley and the hotel to check out. Then I headed out to Point Loma, the imposing headland that marks the north end of San Diego Bay. I actually tried to come out here last night, but didn't realize until I got to the gate that Cabrillo National Monument closes at 5 PM. Night or day, one is reminded driving out here how much San Diego is a military (Navy and Marines, mainly) town.

What a spectacular view of the city and of Coronado!  I must have arrived around noon. The weather was perfect, except for the fog bank lying offshore. Which over about 30 minutes moved in very fast, spilling into the bay and over the ridge, which was all very impressive, but worried me given my ambitious afternoon schedule. I really wanted sunshine in La Jolla, not murk.  As it turned out the fog wasn't a problem farther north.


No comments: