Thursday, November 28, 2013

Black's Beach







I got back to the Torrey Pines gliderport - where the sun set last night - after lunch and figured I had time to hike down to the beach and explore before racing back to the airport.  The gliderport is mainly some big parking lots and dirt and grass fields where the daring can launch hang gliders or model sail planes.  It is backed up by the high tech biomedical labs and businesses that have grown up around UCSD.

But 300' below, down a steep trail is Black's Beach, known as much for surfing and naturalism as for geology, but of course, I was there to check out the beach sediment and the landslides.  I avoided the main part of the clothing optional beach by heading south (and I did take my shoes and socks off, which seemed to me like a clothing option).

La Jolla Farms is the high end neighborhood on top of the bluff - the more precarious ones can be seen from the beach.

What a wonderful afternoon - all the more because I knew in a couple hours I would be on a plane back to Seattle where it was cold and wet! The hike back up the bluff was tough and I was very glad to find a public shower at the beach at La Jolla Shores - I suspect the people next to me on the plane were glad, too.

No comments: