Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Freeport






After Campobello, I headed south. I hiked out to the sea cliffs at Cutler, had a haddock sandwich and blueberry cream pie at Helen's in Machias, checked out Roques Bluff and Jasper Beach (pictures at Gravel Beach), and raced south, making it to Bailey Island by 8 or so for a late dinner (lobster, of course) at Cook's.

I stayed in Brunswick, had breakfast at the Little Dog on Maine Street, and wandered around the old house one more time, before heading off for Freeport and the Portland Airport. L.L. Bean isn't as over the top as Cabela's, but it certainly is a long, long way from the old days of climbing the long flight of stairs up to the old showroom above the factory. Before the Ben and Jerry's, the Starbucks, and all the high end clothing outlets.

As usual, I've got a whole bunch of coastal and beach-related posts from this trip over on my Gravel Beach site (or I will shortly).

No comments: