Monday, August 30, 2010

West Quoddy Head






I arrived at Cohill's Inn in Lubec fairly late, had a beer with the proprietor, and set the alarm for 5AM.

It takes only 15 minutes or so to drive out to West Quoddy Head so I still had 20-25 minutes before the sun came up. I parked, then walked down to the red and white striped lighthouse which looks eastward over the Bay of Fundy and Grand Manan Island.

This is the easternmost point in the United States. In summer months, it is the country's earliest sunrise. In the winter, when the sun rises farther south, the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia has this honor.

I explored the point in the pre-dawn light, watching lobster boats head out to check traps. A couple other guys were also waiting - sunrise at West Quoddy was their first stop on a fall road trip that was to include all 50 states. And then a six pack of very loud men showed up - I think they appreciated the sunrise, but I would have appreciated it more if they had they shut up!

The sun rose right on time and was perfect. It would be neat to race off to Portland, jump on a plane, fly to Seattle and Port Angeles, drive to Ozette, and hike out to Cape Alava for the sunset. I wonder if that can actually be done. If so, I suspect someone has done it.

No comments: