Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ketchikan





Sunday morning, after sailing from Bellingham on Friday evening. This was our introduction to Alaska and cruise ship economies. I expected the t-shirt stores and the knock-off native crafts, but I hadn’t forseen all the diamond and jewelry stores. Apparently all owned by the cruise companies and all clones of similar shops in ports of call in the Caribbean and on the west coast of Mexico. Stupid me – I thought cruises were an opportunity to travel without having to deal with local people and local food, but really they are just ways to shop.

We had three hours, so we took a cab downtown with Sarah and Amanda (who we had run into on the ferry), had breakfast at the Pioneer Café, and wandered down Creek Street and then past the cruise ships.

Arkansas was my 48th state, in 1978, just before I turned 20. This spring I got to Hawaii (49) and now I’ve finally gotten to Alaska (50) - just before turning 50. Time to start all over again.

No comments: