Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Snowgrass Flats

Snowgrass Flats was home for two nights. I camped in one of the many great sites scattered around the junction of the Snowgrass Trail with the PCT. The only drawback was that this late in the season, there's not much flowing water. Oh, and another drawback, what water I did have froze in the bottles at night. I think it must have been around 20 at dawn. And windy at night. Particularly Sunday morning.



I was reminded what an impressive peak Mount Adams is. As opposed to Mt. St. Helens, also visible (bottom panorama), but much diminished since its small setback in 1980.



The roughly five mile trail in was in good condition. And since the trailhead is around 4500', the elevation gain isn't bad. Snowgrass is a great base camp for exploring the more exposed areas of Old Snowy and the Knife Edge, which I'll get to later.




No comments: