Sunday, September 30, 2018

Seattle Center

From 2000 until 2011, the strange building (Frank Gehry) below the Space Needle housed the Experience Music Project. But then EMP became MoPOP (The Museum of POP Culture), which I guess reflected the fact that its theme was broader than just music.

But EMP or MoPOP, we had never gone. Maybe we were locals too cheap to buy tickets to a major Seattle tourist attraction. Or just middle-aged folks out of touch or unengaged with either music or anything related to popular culture.

But last week, we joined a large crowd inspired by a viral Facebook promotion that offered free admission. We had to pay extra to see the Marvel exhibit, but Pearl Jam and Frodo's sword came with the deal.

Dad wasn't too pleased when I came home one day with comic books bought with my allowance (apparently financial independence had to wait a couple of years until middle school and a paper route). Maybe I never would have gotten interested in comic books anyway (I guess I watched TV versions of some of them). I was middle-aged when Marvel got rediscovered by the modern movie business and I just wasn't really paying attention. A couple of years ago, I began watching Jessica Jones on Netflix, but most of what I know about Marvel characters I learn from overheard conversations among 20-something baristas

I doubt I'm going to go out and start buying comic books, but I think I need to go back and pick up another season of Jessica Jones on Netflix and maybe watch Black Panther.


No comments: