Friday, August 08, 2014

Vedauwoo





The broken pink granite knobs of Vedauwoo lie less than half an hour east of Laramie on I-80. For most folks, they're just scenery along the interstate, or maybe a place to stop for a picnic.  For others, they're an iconic rock-climbing site. For me, Vedauwoo was a reminder of my first trip up here with George in 1978.
With little experience myself, I taught him some basic climbing stuff, including rappelling. It's amazing I didn't get us both killed.  Early Monday morning, I drove up to Vedauwoo. I scrambled up a ridge and found myself a perch on a very large boulder (there are plenty to choose from) and spent an hour sitting and thinking. I expected introspection but ended up in a jumble of emotions and thoughts. I need to work on the meditation thing.



This was my first exposure to this kind of eroded granite landscape, although I've since discovered the Alabama Hills and the Mojave, the City of Rocks in Idaho, and many others.





No comments: