Monday, September 16, 2013

Montana





We've pretty much covered most of the major routes between Seattle and Minnesota in the last few years, but somehow had missed most of US 12, so that was one of my objectives in planning this road trip.  We did the Idaho stretch (Lewiston to Lolo Pass) on the way east - last week.

And then this weekend, M and I followed it all the way from Minneapolis to Missoula coming back.  It was a great alternative to taking I-94 again and it filled in some blank space on the map above my desk.  It also appears to one of the shortest routes, if not quite the fastest.  We didn't have much time this year -- M and I both had to get back to work.  We took three days to drive the 1710 miles from Minneapolis to Seattle - with nights in Baker and Missoula, Montana.

I still find the rolling grasslands of eastern Montana and the not-quite-Rocky Mountains of central Montana some of my favorite western landscapes - must date to long drives with the family as a kid or to my days working and exploring this kind of country during and immediately after college.

No comments: