Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dungeness Spit







The long walk out to the lighthouse has been on my list for decades - even before I started working on beaches professionally and long before I started collecting beaches as a hobby.  I've been to down the base of the spit numerous times, with and without family, and once I even walked out half a mile or so at high tide to watch storm waves spill over the top.

Saturday, I headed over to the Peninsula early, stopped at Port Williams to explore another beach and to wait for the tide to fall a little farther.  I began hiking around 11:30, spent an hour or so out at the lighthouse, and got back to the car around 4:30.  I walked four of the five miles back barefoot.




The day was perfect.  The only thing that might have made it better would have been for the Olympics and Mount Baker to have been completely clear.

No comments: