Saturday, July 09, 2011

Tukwila






Last Saturday was too nice to pass up and by the time I got the kayak off the car, Michele and I were talking about a bike ride. We loaded the bikes onto the car (today would have made a good promotion for Yakima car racks) and headed for the Duwamish River. We started at North Winds Weir (Cecil Moses Park) and rode the path south along the river (upstream), eventually ending up at South Center (a million people at the mall, but only two who who arrived on their bikes).

We found cold snacks and drinks, bathrooms, and even the Apple Store, where we investigated provisions for D's upcoming four-year expedition to the upper midwest.

Not for the first time today, I found myself following waterways beneath interstate highways (I-90 and I-405 by kayak earlier this morning, I-5 in Allentown and I-405 in Tukwila by bike this afternoon).

One of the pictures shows the mouth of what remains of the Black River. It's hard to imagine that a century ago (more or less), the entire Cedar River watershed, including Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish, drained into the Green (thus Duwamish) River at this point. That means the ancestors of the fish that now swim through the Ballard Locks. I guess that also includes the rain that once fell on our small lot in Wallingford.

No comments: