Sunday, May 01, 2011

Cumberland Plateau







I think my main purpose for coming on this trip was to help D negotiate the three flights (four airplanes and four takeoffs, but only the three with working landing gear actually count) and to hand him enough cash for three days of pizza.

But that gives me time to explore. Saturday I left early and headed east to spend the day looking for waterfalls and natural bridges and rocky bluffs. The bridges and arches are a great contrast to the ones I know better on the Colorado Plateau - they're all sandstone, but in the southwest, they're easier to find. Here, you walk through the forest until you notice that the shadow is actually a 100' arch of rock passing through the canopy above your head!

I checked out the Big South Fork (of the Cumberland River) - including Twin Arches (interesting to contrast to yesterday's Double Arch bridge on the Natchez Trace), Leatherwood Ford, and the high bridge at Rugby. And then drove south to the Clear Fork and the Obed River before driving back to Nashville and Opryland, arriving somewhere in the middle of Round Five.

No comments: