Saturday, June 04, 2011

Mount Si








After a record cool spring, today was a spectacular welcome to June. By the time I hit the trail at 8 this morning, there were already several dozen cars in the parking lot -- though nothing compared to the double-parked mess when I left four hours later.

Mount Si is probably one of the most popular trails close to Seattle - great views, great exercise, and the trailhead is less than 40 minutes from our door. And it's snow free when the high country is still inaccessible. The trail is good, but the climb is tough. Almost 4000' in four miles. And 4 more miles back down. Too bad I couldn't convince Devon to go, but he wasn't awake until I was on my way back down.

Everyone was there today. Many with dogs, some running (one guy went up twice during my round trip), some testing out their backpacking gear for longer trips, and some who looked like they wouldn't get far from the parking lot. I mean, at least bring a water bottle. If hiking in the mountains is for solitude, this was something else. But it was still a wonderful day and the view was spectacular. My legs are sore, too.

1 comment:

Steve and Allie said...

Looks like you had fun! We might head out your way in September as we need a Whidbey fix. I also like your shot of Mt Erie. It was cool here today (3C) but should warm up later this week.